The Martin Group, an award-winning integrated marketing communications agency, with 85+ associates and office locations in Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany, is currently seeking a Senior Public Relations Manager to be based in the Albany, NY market.
The prospective hire will be expected to act as a trusted advisor to various agency clients, consulting with key contacts to proactively manage reputation, promotion, and awareness, while meeting overall brand communications objectives. The optimal candidate will have a proven track-record in effectively communicating with various publics (media, government, stakeholders, community groups, influencers), while also helping companies, individuals, or brands maintain a favorable external and internal image.
At The Martin Group, we believe that “the difference is making one,” and this mantra is a key driver of the work we do and the clients and communities we serve.
The successful candidate will be passionate about client success and media connectivity and will demonstrate an ability to deliver organized and innovative public relations solutions. The successful candidate will also be motivated to contribute to the expansion of The Martin Group’s Capital Region office and must possess a commitment and openness to personal growth and development.
Experience Level Requirement:
No less than 6-8 years experience in previous, active public relations roles/positions.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to clients, consulting with the client representatives to proactively manage brand communications, with the goal of helping shape a favorable public image
- Helps clients achieve success through personalized service and an understanding of their businesses and the market to proactively address challenges and opportunities
- Develops and manages strategic plans and ensures they align with the client’s overall objectives
- Leads media outreach initiatives for clients, inclusive of pitching, handling media queries and managing relationships between the client and regional/trade media
- Attends networking and media events, as well as meetings with clients, suppliers and partner organizations to discuss aspects of PR campaigns and activities
- Oversees and contributes to the creation of press releases, media advisories, scripts, speeches, talking points, blog content, social media postings, advertising copy, and other internal/external public relations content
- Serves as the lead day-to-day contact and provides direction to PR team on strategy and tactical media outreach
- Delivers presentations to various audiences
- Creates and manages the budget and works with the PR team to ensure that projects are completed within the defined allocations
- Builds strong relationships with key media outlets, bloggers, analysts and industry and community stakeholders
- Actively works to advance agency awareness in the Albany, NY market through networking and relationship-building
- Coaches and delegates work to PR Managers, Specialists, and Coordinators
- Actively participates in new business process/presentations
- Assists with the hiring and training process for the PR team
- Plans special events and press conferences for both in-person and virtual/digital settings
- Serves as a liaison between the Agency and key regional partners
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of news and digital trends and tactics, with the ability to mobilize audience participation and engagement, and develop content and editorial pieces
- Communicates effectively in person, through email, and via the telephone with both the client and the agency’s Public Relations team on specific projects
- Ability to write content, copy and messaging in variety of styles, voices and tones, adaptable to different target audiences, product categories and branding initiatives
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines, surpass client expectations, and demonstrate competence and discretion at all times
- Ability to be proactive, reliable, reasonable and accurate with an attention to detail
- Ability to quickly learn the businesses, stakeholders, products and messaging of clients in technical industries, and execute informed media outreach to trade publications
- Knowledge of state government, politics and trending policy topics
- Proficient with Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other Social Media sites
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, WordPress, Hootsuite, Dropbox, and other tools
- Collaborates effectively internally and cross–departmentally to reach Agency objectives
- Bachelors Degree in PR, Communications, Marketing, or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience in the Public Relations or Public Affairs field
- Agency experience preferred
Apply For This Position